Minoru NoharaProfessor of Solid State Physics
Research Institute for Interdisciplinary Science,
3-1-1, Tsushima-naka, Okayama 700-8530, Japan
My principal research interests are focused on the exploration of new superconductors. The compounds we are interested in include 3d transition metals with a strong electron correlation such as iron, and 5d transition metals with a strong spin-orbit coupling such as platinum. We have discovered 112-type iron-based superconductor CaFeAs2, and enhanced the superconducting transition temperature up to 47 K by substituting both La and Sb. Other superconductors we have discovered include: (1) SrPtAs with a honeycomb structure, in which the emergence of chiral d-wave superconductivity has been proposed, (2) AuTe2, in which strong-coupling superconductivity emerges in the vicinity of the structural critical point, and (3) IrTe2, in which interplay between superconductivity and orbital ordering was observed. Our goal is develop new superconductors with higher transition temperature using various ideas of solid-state chemistry.
Jun 1994 Ph. D in Physics, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
Mar 1992 M.Sc. in Physics, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
Mar 1990 B.Sc, in Physics, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima, Japan
Aug 2008 – present
Professor of Solid State Physics, Okayama University, Japan
Oct 1999 – Jul 2008
Associate Professor, Department of Advanced Materials, University of Tokyo, Japan
Mar 1995 – Sep 1999
Research Associate, Institute for Solid State Physics, University of Tokyo, Japan
Jul 1994 - Feb 1995
Postdoctral fellow of Japan Promotion of Science at Hiroshima University, Japan
2016 Outstanding Paper Award of the Physical Society of Japan
2016 Award on Superconductivity Science and Technology, The Society of Non-Traditional Technology, Japan
Recent Invited Presentations
- E-MRS 2017 Fall Meeting, Warsaw, Poland, 18-21 September 2017.
- IUMRS-ICAM 2017, Kyoto, Japan, 27 August - 1 September 2017.
- Common Threads in the Electronic Phase Diagram of Unconventional Superconductors, Lorentz Center, Leiden, The Netherlands, 27 Feb to 3 Mar 2017.
- E-MRS 2016 Fall Meeting, Warsaw University of Technology, Warsaw, Poland, September 19 to 22, 2016.
- Anomalous Transport in Multipolar and Topological Materials Workshop, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA, March 11 and 12, 2016.
- Asia-Pacific Workshop (APW)-CEMS Joint Workshop, "Highlight of modern condensed matter physics", RIKEN, Japan, January 25-27, 2016.
- The 11th International Conference on Materials & Mechanisms of Superconductivity, M2S 2015, Geneva, Switzerland, August 23 - 28, 2015.
- EMN (Energy Materials and Nanotechnology) Qingdao Meeting, Qingdao, China, June 14-17, 2015.
- 13th Bilateral German-Japanese Symposium "Interplay of Spin- and Orbital Degrees of Freedom in Strongly Correlated Electron Systems", Ringberg Castle, Germany, July 13-16, 2014.
- International Conference on Thermoelectrics -- ITC2014, Nashville, Tennessee, USA, July 6-10, 2014.
- 2014 MRS Spring Meeting, San Francisco, CA, USA, April 21-25, 2014.